1. ABOUT THE “YOUTH OF EXCELLENCE SCHEME OF CHINA PROGRAM CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP”
The “Youth of Excellence Scheme of China Program Chinese Government Scholarship” (thereafter regarded as the Zhuoyue Scholarship program) is a scholarship program provided by the Ministry of Education of the P.R.C. This fully-funded scholarship is awarded to international students who wish to conduct further study in China. Evaluation criteria include academic merit, leadership potential, international experience, and long-term aspirations.
A) SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE
The Zhuoyue Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship program.
B) DURATION OF FUNDING
The Zhuoyue Scholarship program is tenable for one academic year during the study of the Yenching Academy program. It is mandatory for the recipient of the Zhuoyue Scholarship program to complete all required credits during the first academic year on campus. Upon completing the preparation work of a Master’s thesis, the recipient of the Zhuoyue Scholarship program is obliged to fulfil the second-year requirements of a Master’s thesis and thesis defense outside of the Chinese Mainland.
2. ABOUT THE YENCHING ACADEMY PROGRAM
According to the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Education for postgraduate admissions and Peking University’s “2024 Application Information of Master’s Degree and Ph.D Degree for International Students”, Yenching Academy of Peking University accepts foreign students to study a master's degree in China Studies using the method of “Application and Review System.”
Yenching Academy of Peking University aims to build bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary Master's program in China Studies. This initiative brings together young people who have demonstrated a talent for leadership and innovation. At Yenching, they are immersed in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world — past, present, and future. The Academy's goal is to shape new generations of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China.
Yenching Academy is an English-taught, 2-years (1+1) Master’s degree program, offering a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within the Humanities and Social Sciences. Working closely with their academic advisors, Yenching Scholars have the flexibility to create their own study paths by choosing from six research areas and a variety of extracurricular activities. Studying at the Academy represents a unique opportunity not only for intercultural and academic exchange, but also for personal and professional development.
All Yenching scholars are required to live on campus during the first academic year. Yenching Scholars must complete all required credits within the first academic year. After completion of credits, scholars will work on a thesis during the second academic year, in which they need to pass a thesis defense as well as obtain approval from the Peking University Academic Degree Committee before awarded a diploma and degree.
All Yenching Scholars must complete compulsory core courses, including China in Transition, Chinese Language, Field Study, Topics in China Studies Lecture Series, and Academic Writing.
Working closely with their academic advisors, Yenching Scholars have the flexibility to create their own study paths by choosing from six research areas, elective courses taught by Peking University faculty and a variety of extracurricular activities.
B) RESEARCH AREAS
Research Areas offered in the Yenching Academy include:
● China Studies (Economics and Management)
● China Studies (History and Archaeology)
● China Studies (Law and Society)
● China Studies (Literature and Culture)
● China Studies (Philosophy and Religion)
● China Studies (Politics and International Relations)
Application for the 2024 intake will end on March 3, 2024 (12:00 noon Beijing time).
Applicants should have:
● Non-P.R.C. passport holder, physically and mentally able, and under the age of 45 years;
● Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any field or currently enrolled on a degree program awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll;
● Three or more consecutive years of employment experience related to one of the following categories:
○ Chief staff member (or equivalent) of government departments;
○ Senior managerial role in an institution, organization or enterprise;
○ Administrative management role in the higher education sector or research institution;
○ Work or internship experience in an international organization.
● Academic or work experience related to the applied research area is preferred;
● An outstanding academic record;
● Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
● A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, social responsibility, and leadership potential;
● English proficiency requirements and minimum scores:
○ IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
○ TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
○ Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
○ Native English speakers and students or alumni of primarily English taught degree programs (undergraduate or above) are not required to provide English proficiency test scores.
● Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport. Residents of the Chinese Mainland, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan who have emigrated to other countries and are applying to Peking University as international students must present valid passport or citizenship documents dating from before April 30, 2018, along with proof of cancellation of Chinese nationality.
Each applicant must fill-in and prepare the following materials in English. For documents not issued in English, please include a certified translation in English or Chinese:
● Complete registration form (available for download here; please fill-in the information on your computer; hand-written, scanned copies will not be accepted);
● Personal statement (750 words or less);
● Statement of Research Interest (maximum 1500 words, excluding citations);
● Curriculum vitae (maximum two pages);
● Official transcript(s);
● Diploma(s), Certificate(s) of Enrollment, and Overseas Credential Evaluation:
○ Diploma(s) and/or Certificate(s) of Enrollment are compulsory for all applicants:
□ Candidates whose official university documents are in languages other than English or Chinese must submit copies of both the original documents and certified English translations. This requirement also applies to diplomas issued in Latin. Please ensure that the translation indicates your degree type (e.g. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree).
○ An Overseas Credential Evaluation are required only for offer holders, and are only required for undergraduate degree programs.
□ Candidates who have graduated from a degree program outside of the Chinese Mainland need to provide a Credential Evaluation issued by the CHESICC (中国教育部留学服务中心). Candidates who have graduated from a degree program within the Chinese Mainland need to provide a Credential Evaluation issued by the CSSD (中国高等教育学生信息网).
□ Candidates who have already graduated from an undergraduate degree should submit the Credential Evaluation during the Peking University Office of International Relations (OIR) application stage in April.
□ Candidates who have not yet graduated from an undergraduate degree need to submit the Credential Evaluation, as well as the original copy of the diploma(s), during enrollment in September.
● Employment certification or internship certificate (should include applicant’s personal information, duration of employment/internship, job title, etc. Letter should be issued on the institution official letterhead and signed by the concerned official);
● Two academic letters of recommendation (Chinese or English):
○ Peking University will only accept recommendation letters written by full professors or associate professors (or equivalent titles).
○ We do not accept recommendation letters sent directly by applicants, please ask your recommenders to send their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate applicant’s name in the email subject or email content.
● International English proficiency test report(s):
○ TOEFL and IELTS English proficiency tests must be taken after September 1, 2022. Currently, we do not accept TOEFL MyBest Scores, TOEFL iBT Home Edition, IELTS Indicator test, or IELTS Online;
○ Submission of English scores: For IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge tests, we will only accept scores sent directly to us from these organizations. Make sure you choose “Yenching Academy of Peking University” as the designated recipient of your scores when you book the exam time. For TOEFL, use the institution code: C488. Please ensure you submit the English test report via email, as well as asking the organizations to send the official test report to us.
4. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Applications are open until March 3, 2024 (12:00 noon Beijing time). Applicants must send all application materials (excluding recommendation letters) to email@example.com before the deadline (with the email subject “Zhuoyue Scholarship Application + Your name”). Compressed file is recommended (rar or zip), please name your file the same as the email subject.
Note that your application will only be considered as complete after all application materials (including recommendation letters) arrive at the designated email address by the deadline.
Shortlisted candidates will receive a pre-admission letter from Peking University before April 8, 2024. Upon receiving this letter, applicants for the Zhuoyue Scholarship program must complete an additional online application via the China Scholarship Council no later than April 15, 2024 (note that the Zhuoyue Scholarship is classified as scholarship type A, and the institutional code is 1563).
5. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION REVIEW & ADMISSION
The Yenching Academy Admissions Committee is responsible of the selection of prospective Yenching Scholars. Finalists will be invited for interviews around mid-March to early-April, and invitations will normally be sent out approximately one week in advance. Interviews can be done remotely online or in person at Peking University. The final review of the application files for the Zhuoyue Scholarship program will be conducted directly by the China Scholarship Council, and results will be available around June 2024.
Important: Yenching Academy applicants for the Zhuoyue Scholarship program must receive acceptance from the China Scholarship Council in order to be officially admitted by Peking University.
● Further information about the international student application and admission for the 2024 intake of the Zhuoyue Scholarship program can be found on the Peking University International Students Division website and on the Yenching Academy website.
● Students are not allowed to be enrolled in other programs or universities when enrolled in Peking University.
● In circumstances where Peking University has amended the policies on admissions and/or enrollment for the 2024 cohort, the Yenching Academy will ensure these are announced in a timely manner.
7. CONTACT US
Yenching Academy Admissions Office:
Tel: + 86-10-62766358
Address: Jingyuan Courtyard 3, Peking University, 5 Yiheyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing, China 100871